Friday 11 November 2011

Launching of the Samsung Galaxy Note

 
For those of you who do not know, the Samsung Galaxy Note is launched today. 
Well, you may not believe it but Samsung believes this is a breakthrough of mobile world. 





I'm the kind that normally would buy into advertisement trick but since I'm there, I'm gonna test the device to see just what breakthrough did Samsung actually meant. 


When I first have a look at the Galaxy Note, my thought was "It looks just like a bigger Galaxy S2."
Well, nothing wrong with that statement given that the S2 is such a good product. 

 
The display of the Galaxy Note is definitely a winner. The large screen and Super AMOLED display is just amazing on this device. My friend, Clement and I were amazed by the crispness of the device. I decided to lower the brightness in the setting and the Galaxy Note's display still look amazingly beautiful even in comparison to my iPhone 4. I think it has everything to do with the larger screen display which makes messaging, surfing the internet and getting things done pleasing to look at. 

Galaxy Note showing the video on Galaxy Note large screen...the display looks flawless!!
Of course, the Galaxy Note is known for the S-pen that apparently feels like a pen when you are writing on the device. Well, we tried it and it does not feel like a pen but it works. The best way to put it is probably that the device has a size of a small notebook that could easily be written using the pen. We test try by writing names as the photo below shows.
 
It feels pretty good writing with the pen.
We also try using it for messaging and while it feels good to use the pen for writing message, I personally feel typing using the hand would still be more comfortable. When I am using the Galaxy Note to get things done, I felt that I prefer using the finger to navigate and control than the Pen. Probably this is a habit cultivated after using the Apple iPhone 4 but it makes it weird to navigate using the Pen. But the idea of having the S-Pen for writing and jotting notes are pretty useful especially for students or during meetings. (I always imagine doing that using my iPad...haha!!)


As an Android phone, Google Mail will surely not fail you on this device.
The Galaxy Note is definitely as good as the name suggests: for taking down notes purpose. 

Other than that, it feels and look pretty much just like S2. While the camera 8 megapixel is amazing with the shots, both my friend and I find that it takes a longer time to take snapshots in comparison to the iPhone 4. I felt that this is very much a let down as it will be more difficult to take impromptu snapshots. 

We tried taking the snapshot of me using the device...we used the Smile shooter function...
The camera has other function such as the smile shooter as well. A good camera but like I said, I still don't like the time taken for the shots to be taken. Anyway other than that, the Galaxy Note feels pretty good to use.


WRAP UP

Well, the Galaxy Note is a good phone to use, providing a big screen that makes note taking amazing or one could look at it as a compact tablet. I personally feel the Note will be a good companion for note taking, web browsing, taking snapshots and others but as a phone, no...it feels bulky and weird holding a phone as big as the Note for that purpose. Battery lifespan I'm not sure but given that it is another Samsung product, I believe I can count on it for my daily usage. 

However, a breakthrough it is not. It feels pretty much just like S2 and in fact, I prefer S2. Samsung Galaxy S2 has the perfect size and shape in my opinion as a smartphone. In fact, the S-pen could easily work just fine on the Galaxy S2. Anyway, for those of you who like the large screen, then forget about HTC Desire HD now...you've got the Galaxy Note...not a breakthough in the mobile world but definitely a good and worthwhile smartphone for the Android fans. A thumbs up! 

And with the price offered, I think the Note is something worth considering...another good job from Samsung.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment